You are using an outdated browser. For a faster, safer browsing experience, upgrade for free today.



BC Out of Province Vehicles

When entering the Province of British Columbia with an out of province plate, the vehicle must be prorated with IFTA or additional Permits are required.


Non-Resident permits are required if a Client does not have a Financial Responsibility Number (FR #) through their Insurance Company; regardless of how much they weigh or how often they travel in BC.

If a Client has their FR# and their vehicle is weighing and registered for less than 11,794 Kg then they do not require a Non-Resident permit for their weight; however they can only travel in the Province for a maximum of 90 days within the calendar year or permits will be required.

If a vehicle is registered for less than 11,794 kg but they are weighing more than their registered weight then Non-Resident permits are required to cover the additional weight.

These permits can be obtained as Single Trips or as Quarterly Permits. Single Trip Permits are valid for a round trip so long as the permit is still valid. Quarterly Permits are issued in three month intervals:

  • January 1 – March 31
  • April 1 – June 30
  • July 1 – September 30
  • October 1 – December 31

Fuel Tax Permits

Fuel tax permits must be obtained if an out of province carrier does not have IFTA if they are registered for or weighing more than 11,794 Kg. They can only be obtained as single trip permits.

Point to Point

Non-Resident carriers are not permitted to travel point to point in BC unless they are prorated for the Province. They must exit the Province after the job is complete. An exception to this rule is a Service Rig Package (Service Rig, Pump Truck, Equipment Truck/Doghouse combination). They can move point to point if a quarterly non-resident permit is obtained. Single trip fuel permits would be required if the carrier does not have IFTA.

Note: The support equipment cannot move point to point without the Service Rig unless it is prorated.

BC Client Number

In order to obtain permits in British Columbia, a BC Client Number is required. This number is a unique way to identify each carrier in the province. If you have never obtained a permit in BC before, we can setup your client number on your behalf. If you have gotten a permit in the past, your client number can be found in the top right hand corner of your permit document, or it can be searched for using your plate # or company name.

Financial Responsibility Number

A Financial Responsibility Number is a number that is given to a company by their insurance company that states the company has auto insurance in a particular province. A carrier can add this coverage to their Non-Resident Permit for a fee of $84 per trip if they not have a Financial Responsibility Number for BC.

To obtain a Financial Responsibility Number the insurance broker can contact ICBC at 604-443-4450.